MD/PhD students are required to have adequate insurance while enrolled at the UMMSM. The UMMSM students have the option of purchasing a health insurance policy available to all students. The United Health Care Student Health Plan provides benefits and services at a reasonable premium. In addition, students are able to access the services provided at the Student Health Center at the Coral Gables Campus. Medical Graduate Students can receive “urgent care” at Family Medicine on the Medical School campus. For non “urgent care” situations, Medical Graduate Students may continue to receive care at the Student Health Center on the Coral Gables campus. Students will receive support for 80% of the University of Miami student health insurance premium for a single person during graduate school.
STUDENT HEALTH CENTER
The Student Health Center is a modern, on-camus outpatient medical center. Through its staff of qualified physicians, physician assisants and nurse practitiones, the Health Center diagnoses and treats minor injuries, and new or ongoing illnesses. Services include primary care, select specialty care, routine laboratory services, x-ray, pharmacy services, advice on health-related issues, and referral to medical specialists when necessary.
You are not required to have the University sponsored health insurance plan in order to use the services of the Student Health Center. All full-time undergraduate, full time graduate, full-time day law students and all other sudents who have paid the University Fee are eligible for care at the Health Center.
A Wellness Center is on the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine campus. Full time employees, faculty, staff, and students of the University of Miami are all eligible to join with a membership fee. Amenities include:
- 15,000 square-foot fitness room with the latest in weight training and cardiovascular equipment
- Three spacious aerobic/group exercise studios featuring high-tech sound systems
- Private men’s and women’s locker room, including full-length lockers, showers, and wet/dry saunas
- A therapy pool for rehabilitatitve exercise, group exercise classes, and individual training
- Indoor cycling room to get your heart pumping
- Juice Bar to quench our thirst after a workout or to enjoy a nutritious meal on your lunch hour
- Spa area to enjoy a break from every day stress, and indulge in a relaxing massage, facial, or manicure/pedicure
For more information, please visit the University of Miami Miller Shcool of Medicine Wellness Center website.